Jul 30, 2007

Cancel My Flight

Pam sent me this article that details the misadventures of one Aaron Dallas, who had recently traveled to Belize. See the maggot-looking insectoids below? You're staring at the five bot fly larvae that were pulled from this poor fellow's scalp. He described it first as if someone were pressing into his scalp with their knuckles, then with a needle, and then with a nail. It was excruciating.

You can read the article for more lovely details. As for myself, I'm going to cancel my flight to Belize and instead stay cooped up in my house, with the doors and windows sealed. And I'm going back to wearing my tinfoil hat.

Thanks for the link, Pam.


7 comments:

Arallyn said...

ew ew ew...I saw this on Untold Stories of the E.R...some woman had gone to I think costa rica to do some charity work and came back and said there were bugs in her scalp crawling around...the doctors thought she was on drugs at first until they saw the bubbling coming out of little holes in her scalp...it was HIDEOUS.

what a reward for charity work.

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Wombat...you just hit my Yuck Factor threshold and plowed right through. You just combined my three worst nightmares into one post:

Parasitic creatures? Check.

Maggots? Check.

Things burrowing into your skin and causing horrible pain? Check.

Don't mind me, I'll just be huddled over in this corner, throwing up...

--TwoDragons

Joy said...

OH MY God! I have no idea why I keep coming back to this site for the torture. That is just hideous! And now, I am going to click on that link... what the heck is wrong with me? See you tomorrow.
C~

Aronwy said...

OMG. Yuck overload.

Somebody PLEASE tell me WHY I keep coming back to this site?

Yes, candy~, I think there is seriously something wrong with us.

Nothing Never said...

Oh my LORD. I have lived in mortal fear of the human botfly ever since I saw a tv host squeeze some out of a cow on the National Geographic Channel. Whatever you do, do NOT google images.
Lee Ann

Angela said...

Now my head is itchy...

Arachnophile said...

LOL...

I've had friends who have come home with bot-flies in various limbs but, NEVER in the scalp! Dang dude, I DO love and tolerate MANY of our arthropod friends BUT... I`m pretty sure that I`d draw the line at having any of my Dipteran fiends maturing in my Head--SKIN!!!