Jul 11, 2007

Evil Stowaway

I woke up this morning to beautiful sunshine and high hopes. When I walked out the door at 6:15 am, I had every reason to believe that it would be a good day.

Until I got to my car.

I don't normally open the passenger side door, but I had to today. And thank goodness I did. For this is what awaited me.

















I am an avowed arachnophobe (unlike many of you reading this). You can only guess at the horror I felt at seeing this garden spider having spun its web in my car overnight. Yep, that's the dashboard to my rockin' 84 Corolla in the background. If you had been a passenger in my car, spidey would have been nibbling on your nose.

I've retraced my steps, and I don't know how it got in my car. And I drive it daily, so it only had a small window in which to weave its web, to weave its evil. I'm just glad I had the presence of mind to take some shots of it with my Pentax (my new and beloved toy).

I trembled and I had perma-goosebumps for about an hour. After I extracted the arachnid stowaway, I drove to work (a 25 minute commute) swatting at every single itch or tickle I felt. I don't believe I'll ever be the same.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gah! There are lots of trees in our apartment complex and EVERY NIGHT no matter which path I take the dog on his walk, I end up walking into spiderwebs. Usually more than once. Only one time did I actually get a spider on me (that I know of) but just the faint tickle of the web creeps me out.

Also, many of these webs extend from the ground all the way up to the tree branches, or from a tree branch to an apartment building about five feet away. What on earth are these spiders trying to catch?

(Answer: Me, apparently.)

~ Jen

Jessica said...

Yup, i sat in one just like that the other day. Why'd he have to pick my driver's seat?

Anonymous said...

Oh Wombat, poor you. Hahahahahaha....
I laugh because it wasn't me. I like spiders but I would have flipped if I saw this passenger. If it had been a June bug though, I'd be in therapy right now instead of writing this.

Anonymous said...

LOL, I personally think spiders are cool, and if this loverly lady (I think) spun in your car, then she must have thought it to be a good place for dinner. They don't need a big window of time, they spin those magnificient webs every night while you sleep to help rid your yards and trees of horrid, miserable little pests like mosquitos and flies.

Sorry about the goosebumps, but this little wiggly had only the best of intentions to rid your car of the Evil Onslaught. Think of it in the same vein as when your cat brings you a dead mouse, and looks all offended when you freak out and toss it in the trash. :D

Nothing Never said...

I rocked a 87 corolla for many years till recently. It has been replaced by a Hyundai that I feel secure will start every morning...but I kindof miss the character that ol' 'yota had.

Better one spider than ants. The never go away. Or rats that chew your wires.

Jade said...

Awww... Sorry you had to be shocked, but the spider meant no harm.

As lee ann said, at least it wasn't ants.

Anonymous said...

Wow, just like Reader's Digest: "DRAMA IN REAL LIFE"!

Several years ago, we bought a bighorn sheep's skull at a yard sale and put it in the back of our station wagon. We didn't realize until we'd nearly gotten into an accident that that seller had thrown a wolf spider in for free!

Anonymous said...

An '84 Corolla? I'd be more afraid of the car than the spider.

Raging Wombat said...

The Corolla's done right by me. Although, it did just harbor one of my mortal enemies...

I'll keep an eye out for any further mischief from my automobile.

Anonymous said...

Actually my folks had a small Toyota pickup truck that had more than 250,000 miles on it by the time it went into its final decline. Then they went out and bought another one.

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgetitoffme!!

Creep-y.

Unknown said...

Gaaaaah. Just gaaaaaaaah.... and props to you for taking the time to fotergraf it... I would have freaked out for about an hour first, then found the longest broom possible and then thrown it away. Ah, arachnophobia, I love it.

Jack Ruttan said...

I'm not an unusually Addams Family type, but spiders don't bug me. (dead things in my path creep me out) That one, I think I'd detach the web and hang her up somewhere, as long as she wasn't too fast and disappeared down my shirt.

Sure she wasn't writing messages to you in her web?

Anonymous said...

Gods, I HATE spiders too...you shouldve seen the whopper of one that was in my place before I moved a few years ago....I litereally almost had a heart attack