Jul 3, 2007

First Ever in Photo

This photo comes to you from National Geographic via the good folks over at Zooillogix. You're looking at the first-ever Maclaud's horseshoe bat to be photographed. This little beast is native to Guinea, Africa, and has not been seen in the wild for 40 years. So it's good news that more (even if only 16 individuals) have been found, all living in the same cave.

I think this bat has inspired my next Halloween costume. I just need to figure out how to perform echolocation.


Thanks for the link, Rasmus and Miss Cellania.

Photo source: Zooillogix

5 comments:

morgan said...

That is just the coolest-looking thing... wow! What a find!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I bet he gets great reception with that thing. He can't see around it, but who needs to see when you have echolocation?

Anonymous said...

Ugh.. bats have the weirdest faces ever. I mean I see an eyeball and then who knows what for the rest of it's face o_O

Anonymous said...

What a schnozz! He's got tiiiiny little eyes, and a nose that is literally the size of his head! Bats are so weird.

~Kit

Nuri148 said...

what happened to his face? no wonder the poor thingies live in caves...