Dec 2, 2007

Opalescent Cockroach

What's worse than a cockroach (no offense, Jade)? An opalescent cockroach, of course. But there's nothing extraordinary going on here, just something ugly (and wonderful, for you bugophiles). When a cockroach molts it becomes white for about 12 hours before its exoskeleton can harden properly.

The last time I molted (sun-sunscreen=burn), I turned a bright red. But after a couple days I settled into a nice, computer-glare pasty white.

Thanks for the photo, Ida.

Photo source: Ester Beatriz via Albuquerque Tribune via boingboing

7 comments:

Jack Ruttan said...

Er, how big is it?

The ones in Thailand were almost good for pets. They'd fight it out with the lizards on my front porch.

The bitty ones give me the willies.

Jade said...

I love how pretty they are when they're white for that short period.

And no offense taken :)

Anonymous said...

UGH.... roaches are the devil! I HATE THEM! I didn't know they did this... bleh!

and BTW
"The last time I molted (sun-sunscreen=burn), I turned a bright red. But after a couple days I settled into a nice, computer-glare pasty white."

HILARIOUS!

Anonymous said...

So...white means squishy? Okay, gotta find them at this time to flatten them. (Sorry all you bugophiles. In all actuality I've seen very few cockroaches in real life *knock on wood* let's keep it that way!)

Arachnophile said...

LOL - Opals are actually my favorite! How DID you know. ;)

Seriously, to echo Jade I think these guys are beautiful at this stage, like cicadas only less... green.

Bituchi said...

Hey, "my" roach still walking on the web!!
Great!
Thanks Raging!

Raging Wombat said...

Thanks for the great photo, Ester.